In our Sunday school hour at church a few weeks back we went through a video series called "6 Secrets to a Lasting Love" by Dr. Gary and Barbara Rosberg. It was very good and very convicting and eye-opening. When you're just "getting by" in your marriage and you watch marriage videos or read books on marriage, it's hard to hear what they have to say sometimes. Many times it felt like the finger was pointing straight at me. Other times I would think to myself "Huh, I sure hope Waylon heard that!" Overall it was a great series for us to go through and I really think that several couples in our church got a lot from it.
One of the things I've been convicted about lately is my attitude towards my husband. I love him very much and can't imagine my life without him but believe it or not, I'm not always the most loving person towards him. I am a short-tempered person (something I am praying and asking God to help me change) and can be very short with my words when I'm frustrated. It's not loving and it doesn't convey the fact that I am so thankful for everything he does for me and our girls.
So today, on my Thankful Thursday post, I want to list some things about my husband that I'm thankful for. Please feel free to list some things you are thankful about your husband for in the comments. It would be great to read all the uplifting words about our husbands (and fathers of our children), especially as we approach Father's Day this Sunday.
So here are mine:
I'm thankful for...
- How much he loves me
- For the fact that he pursued me for so long and didn't write me off
- For his patience with me and our girls
- For his hard work and long hours he puts in at his new job
- For working hard so that he could be promoted and set us up to be in a more stable financial situation
- For having a sense of humor that I appreciate and laugh at
- For the fact that he is much thinner than me, therefore motivating me to lose more weight!
- For still helping me around the house when he is able to, even though he works long hours at his job
- For being such a wonderful daddy to his little girls (Brooklyn loves her Daddy!)
- For being a kind person to all people he comes into contact with
- For saving himself for marriage and not compromising himself
- For the spiritual strength he shows
- For being mature when I sometimes don't want to be
- For his calm demeanor when our "discussions" get heated and I blow my top
- For his fearlessness in the face of possible failure
- For staying calm when things around us are crazy and seemingly out of control
- For loving the Lord with all his heart and seeking to be a Godly man, husband, father and son.
There are so many other things I could list about my loving husband but that would take too long. I'm working hard to show him my thankfulness. I feel even more strongly about it now that I've spent a day with him at his job and see how hard he really does work to be successful in sales. It's a tough job and I could never do as well as he does.
Waylon with Brooklyn a few hours after she was born.
Waylon with Layla just a few minutes after she was born.
Waylon, I love you very much and am forever thankful to the Lord for bringing us together in marriage. I'm thankful for the children we have together and the wonderful father you are to them. Happy Father's Day!!